There are things that can be done to secure our schools. Our law makers and school officials know what they are; most are just common sense, some take time, but it seems they always find other things to spend our tax money on. Protecting our children should take precedence over everything else. Bureaucracy has grown by leaps and bounds, while our children’s security has been neglected. Just get it done. Protect our children
It is ridiculous that law enforcement, school officials, family, friends and acquaintances all know and were concerned about these mass killers. We know what can be done. We know what could have stopped this latest shooter and most of the other mass shooters. Just do it. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
- LOCK THE DAMN DOORS TO THE OUTSIDE.
- USE ONE ENCLOSED ENTRANCE. SECURE IT, using armed guards, ID card scanners,metal detectors and security dogs. Paid security may be cost prohibitive, but our school officials, the local, county and state police will gladly step up and rotate duties. What happens to the old scanners and old metal detectors when our Government buildings and airports update? Why not donate those to the schools? Why not ask for donations to obtain these devices? We have the technology to make school ID cards with a scan strip on the back. We even have facial recognition technology, though that might be a little too costly. If so, school personnel could match the face and ID at the secure entrance.
- PROVIDE MENTAL HEALTH TO STUDENTS WHO NEED IT AND REMOVE CHILDREN FROM ABUSIVE HOMES. Monsters are made, they are not born. Schools should not be treating children like criminals. Expelling a child for disruptive behavior is not the answer. Separating a child from other children, counseling the child, providing mental health services and implementing after school detention are preferable. DCF needs to do a better job monitoring at risk children. They have failed too many times, as have our mental health providers. If a child has threatening or dangerous behavior, call Law Enforcement. mental health services and Department of Child Services. There should be no tolerance for bullying. Again, counseling, changing class and detention, not expelling children should be the rule on bullying. Lessons in tolerance, understanding and inclusiveness should be the order of the day, not ostracization and ridicule. The Golden Rule has stood the test of time and should be posted in every classroom. As I said before, Monsters are made, not born.
- Reform our Mental Health laws. Make it easier for family members, friends, acquaintances, law enforcement, counselors, schools to force mental health care on those people who need it, especially those that are dangerous and threatening. A local panel of mental health providers, law enforcement and patient advocates would ensure that a person’s rights are not being infringed upon when they are forced into a care facility or into counseling. Make mental health care available for everyone that seeks it, subsidize it where needed. Our Mental Health providers need to stop medicating their patients. Drugging children who misbehave or are disruptive is not the answer. They should be taught to face, to conquer and to cope with their problems. Mental health providers need to follow up on patients who stop coming to them for counseling, especially those they have prescribed drugs to. Mandate Mental Health Providers provide the names of their dangerous patients to the NICs Agency. Whether by neglect, indifference, incompetence or bureaucratic road blocs, we are making the monsters who kill us.
- Reform the FBI tip line and it’s procedures. Protocol and bureaucratic layers are killing us. All FBI tip calls should go to the closest FBI office. Calling into one centralized call center is just stupid. FBI office and all tips should confer with the local police. A simple call to the local police in Parkland would have revealed their 39 interactions with the latest mass murderer.
- Fix NICs so that it provides service in a timely manner. The Charlotte shooter was on the NO buy list. Arrest and litigate people who try to buy guns and know they are not permitted to.
- Enforce our gun laws. If a gun is used while committing a crime, mandatory time should be added to the sentence. Confiscate the guns of violent criminals or mentally ill people, when reported. I can see only two new laws that can be done constitutionally. 1. Extend the background check law to private sellers and “gifters”. Gun shops are more than happy to do it for you. They do it for all internet sales. Guns are picked up at the gun shops where a background check and ID are made. It is not expensive. 2. Outlaw all kits to alter semi automatic guns to make automatic weapons.
- Educate our people. 1) Our Founders knew that some men are not angels. The second amendment protects every citizen’s right to self defense. 2) An AR 15 is a semi automatic gun, not an assault rifle. When you take the outer cover off, all semi autos are the same In fact AR is the company name, ARMA LITE. Most shootings are done with a pistol, not a long gun. 3) Mass Murderers, whether mentally ill or not, will use any weapon to kill and harm others if they decide to do it. We know they have used pipe bombs, Truck bombs, vehicles, and gas .as well as guns in the past. It is not the gun that is evil, it is the murderer, the terrorist and criminal.