Dear Governor Scott,
Are 18 Year Olds really adults in Schizophrenic America? Our military treats them as adults and it makes them warriors to defend America. Our Justice System treats them as adults. Our Financial system treats them as adults. They make autonomous decisions. At the same time, our High Schools and colleges infantilize them and our government denies them the choice of using alcohol and tobacco and buying hand guns. Now, we are talking about denying second amendment rights to 18 year olds by denying their ability to buy semi automatic long guns? How can we do that to a legal adult? In their haste to get new, easily manipulated voters, our Congress recklessly made 18 year olds adults. Twenty would have been a better age to choose for adulthood, but that genie is out of the box. Schools and parents need to do a better job at creating productive, responsible adults who can think in a logical, fact based manner.
Perhaps there is a compromise. Why not allow 18 year olds to buy a gun if they pass an NRA or its equivalent gun safety program? If we used one standardized certificate as proof that they have passed the safety program, we could avoid a government registration list. In a couple decades everyone would have taken than course. Many are doing it now, voluntarily.
First we must secure our schools, protect our children using Scanners, metal detectors, dogs and armed personnel, including personnel with a concealed carry weapons . We need to harden the security ring inside and outside our schools. The NRA and law enforcement groups have said they will look at every school and give them a plan to do this. Second we need to pass the fix NICs bill and mandate that Mental Health officials and other government agencies report dangerous individuals and criminals to NICs No buy list. Third we need to remove the laws,the protocols and layers of bureaucracy that allowed the FBI, the local police, the DCS, the school, and the mental health professionals failure to act. Whatever made the FBI not act, needs to be fixed, pronto. Everyone of these mass shooters were known by the FBI , mental health professions, DCS and law enforcement. They still failed to prevent these mass murders. All FBI tips should ring in to the nearest FBI office, not a centralized far away DC office. That is just stupid. The FBI needs to relay information to local Law Enforcement. Fourth, the schools, the families, the friends, the acquaintances, the law enforcement, all need to be able to get mentally ill dangerous people help. Schools need to provide mental health care for children who need it and they need to work to connect all children to the community. And finally, we need to reform the Mental Health system. We need to be able to force care on dangerous people. That means we need well staffed Mental Health hospitals to treat those that need it. Guns/weapons should be confiscated when a person is temporarily forced into care and then adjudicated afterwards. .
I know that you, with the help of our President, will finally get this done. We have known what needs to be done since Columbine. Securing our schools, protecting our children is the top priority. All the other reforms can be done over time. We have taken God out of schools and we have shown a disrespect for life with our abortion laws, we have allowed bullying, cyberbullying, ostracization and ridicule to hurt other children, instead of showing our children how to treat others, It is no wonder we have non empathetic , unconnected children. Perhaps, the Golden Rule should be taught, along with tolerance, inclusiveness and caring. Thank you, Governor Scott, I know you and your team will implement measures that work to protect our children..
Are 18 Year Olds really adults in Schizophrenic America? Our military treats them as adults and it makes them warriors to defend America. Our Justice System treats them as adults. Our Financial system treats them as adults. They make autonomous decisions. At the same time, our colleges infantilize them and our government denies them the choice of using alcohol and tobacco. Now, we are talking about denying second amendment rights to 18 year olds? How can we do that to a legal adult? In their haste to get new, easily manipulated voters, our Congress recklessly made 18 year olds adults. Twenty would have been a better age to choose for adulthood, but that genie is out of the box. Schools and parents need to do a better job at creating productive, responsible adults who can think in a logical, fact based manner.
Perhaps there is a compromise. Why not allow 18 year olds to buy a gun if they pass an NRA gun safety program? If we used one standardized certificate as proof that they have passed the safety program, we could avoid a government registration list.
First we must secure our schools, protect our children. Scanners, metal detectors, and armed personnel .Second we need to pass the fix NICs bill and mandate that Mental Health officials and other government agencies report dangerous individuals and criminals to NICs No buy list. Third we need to remove the protocols and layers of bureaucracy that made the FBI fail to act. Whatever made the FBI not act, needs to be fixed, pronto. Everyone of these mass shooters were known by the FBI and/or law enforcement. They still failed to prevent these murders. All FBI tips should ring in to the nearest FBI office, not a centralized DC office. That is just stupid. The FBI needs to relay information to local Law Enforcement. Fourth, the schools, the families, the friends, the acquaintances, the law enforcement, all need to be able to get mentally ill dangerous people help. Schools need to provide mental health care for children who need it and they need to work to connect all children to the community. And finally, we need to reform the Mental Health system. We need to be able to force care on dangerous people. That means we need well staffed Mental Health hospitals to treat those that need it. I agree that guns should be confiscated when a person is temporarily forced into care and then adjudicated afterwards. .
I know that you will finally get this done. We have known what needs to be done since Columbine. Securing our schools, protecting our children is the top priority. All the other reforms can be done over time. We have taken God out of schools and we have shown a disrespect for life with our abortion laws, it is no wonder we have non empathetic , unconnected children. Perhaps, the Golden Rule should be taught, along with tolerance, inclusiveness and caring. Thank you, Mr. President. I know you will fix this.
There are things that can be done to secure our schools. Our law makers and school officials know what they are; most are just common sense, some take time, but it seems they always find other things to spend our tax money on. Protecting our children should take precedence over everything else. Bureaucracy has grown by leaps and bounds, while our children’s security has been neglected. Just get it done. Protect our children
It is ridiculous that law enforcement, school officials, family, friends and acquaintances all know and were concerned about these mass killers. We know what can be done. We know what could have stopped this latest shooter and most of the other mass shooters. Just do it. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!
- LOCK THE DAMN DOORS TO THE OUTSIDE.
- USE ONE ENCLOSED ENTRANCE. SECURE IT, using armed guards, ID card scanners,metal detectors and security dogs. Paid security may be cost prohibitive, but our school officials, the local, county and state police will gladly step up and rotate duties. What happens to the old scanners and old metal detectors when our Government buildings and airports update? Why not donate those to the schools? Why not ask for donations to obtain these devices? We have the technology to make school ID cards with a scan strip on the back. We even have facial recognition technology, though that might be a little too costly. If so, school personnel could match the face and ID at the secure entrance.
- PROVIDE MENTAL HEALTH TO STUDENTS WHO NEED IT AND REMOVE CHILDREN FROM ABUSIVE HOMES. Monsters are made, they are not born. Schools should not be treating children like criminals. Expelling a child for disruptive behavior is not the answer. Separating a child from other children, counseling the child, providing mental health services and implementing after school detention are preferable. DCF needs to do a better job monitoring at risk children. They have failed too many times, as have our mental health providers. If a child has threatening or dangerous behavior, call Law Enforcement. mental health services and Department of Child Services. There should be no tolerance for bullying. Again, counseling, changing class and detention, not expelling children should be the rule on bullying. Lessons in tolerance, understanding and inclusiveness should be the order of the day, not ostracization and ridicule. The Golden Rule has stood the test of time and should be posted in every classroom. As I said before, Monsters are made, not born.
- Reform our Mental Health laws. Make it easier for family members, friends, acquaintances, law enforcement, counselors, schools to force mental health care on those people who need it, especially those that are dangerous and threatening. A local panel of mental health providers, law enforcement and patient advocates would ensure that a person’s rights are not being infringed upon when they are forced into a care facility or into counseling. Make mental health care available for everyone that seeks it, subsidize it where needed. Our Mental Health providers need to stop medicating their patients. Drugging children who misbehave or are disruptive is not the answer. They should be taught to face, to conquer and to cope with their problems. Mental health providers need to follow up on patients who stop coming to them for counseling, especially those they have prescribed drugs to. Mandate Mental Health Providers provide the names of their dangerous patients to the NICs Agency. Whether by neglect, indifference, incompetence or bureaucratic road blocs, we are making the monsters who kill us.
- Reform the FBI tip line and it’s procedures. Protocol and bureaucratic layers are killing us. All FBI tip calls should go to the closest FBI office. Calling into one centralized call center is just stupid. FBI office and all tips should confer with the local police. A simple call to the local police in Parkland would have revealed their 39 interactions with the latest mass murderer.
- Fix NICs so that it provides service in a timely manner. The Charlotte shooter was on the NO buy list. Arrest and litigate people who try to buy guns and know they are not permitted to.
- Enforce our gun laws. If a gun is used while committing a crime, mandatory time should be added to the sentence. Confiscate the guns of violent criminals or mentally ill people, when reported. I can see only two new laws that can be done constitutionally. 1. Extend the background check law to private sellers and “gifters”. Gun shops are more than happy to do it for you. They do it for all internet sales. Guns are picked up at the gun shops where a background check and ID are made. It is not expensive. 2. Outlaw all kits to alter semi automatic guns to make automatic weapons.
- Educate our people. 1) Our Founders knew that some men are not angels. The second amendment protects every citizen’s right to self defense. 2) An AR 15 is a semi automatic gun, not an assault rifle. When you take the outer cover off, all semi autos are the same In fact AR is the company name, ARMA LITE. Most shootings are done with a pistol, not a long gun. 3) Mass Murderers, whether mentally ill or not, will use any weapon to kill and harm others if they decide to do it. We know they have used pipe bombs, Truck bombs, vehicles, and gas .as well as guns in the past. It is not the gun that is evil, it is the murderer, the terrorist and criminal.
What is different today? Mass Media. Social media allows us to be informed and connected, but also socially isolates and disconnects us. It allows us to converse,discuss and debate with others, but it also allows us to be mean, to bully, to ridicule, to be verbally cruel, to insult, to demonize those we do not agree with. Social media, entertainment media also provide wholesale violent images on demand.
Everyday, we witness our leaders in DC, entertainment and media, indulging in an “Ends Justify any Means” strategy by demonizing and attacking their colleagues and opposition, through the use of deceitful, insulting, disrespectful, inciting, divisive rhetoric. Has that abominable behavior leached into Main Street America? Yes and we have a media that exploits and encourages this out of control, poisonous animus.
In our schools, what is different today? They are bigger. There is less community in them. Schools are brutal to the kid that does not fit in because of their dress, their weight, their looks, their disabilities and dysfunctions. Children are bullied ,assaulted, ostracized, ridiculed and embarrassed daily by their peers and some educators. When a child misbehaves, there are only “no tolerance” rules, he is kicked out of school, ostracized, instead of receiving help or redirection. No after school detention, no parent teacher conversations, no mentoring are tried and no mental healthcare is mandated. There are no moral lessons, no ethical education, God and the Bible have been removed.
So, what do we do? Perhaps it is as easy as adopting the Golden Rule and taking care of each other, while at the same time, we harden the security in our schools and public spaces. When a child misbehaves he should be mentored and redirected with love, understanding and empathy, not treated like a criminal, embarrassed, ridiculed, and ostracized. When a child has a mental illness, mandate treatment. The same goes for adults. Mandate mental health treatment for those that are a danger to themselves and others. Our mental health laws need reformed to make it easier for law enforcement, educators, relatives and friends to provide mandated mental health care to those that need it. Mental heath providers need to be better about providing the names of patients they deem dangerous, to NIKS, so that they cannot legally buy a gun. The school, the mental health providers, the law, friends and acquaintances of most of these mass shooters all knew these people were dangerous. Mental healthcare was not mandated and their names were not put on the No Buy list. Local Mental Health panels could be set up to protect the rights of mental health patients who have been forced into care. Throwing drugs at a problem is not the answer. We start drugging our kids early and the mental health providers and health providers are very guilty of this. We parents are guilty for allowing it. Our children and adults should be assisted in facing, coping and conquering their problems, not numbing them, forgetting them.
What can we do to enhance security in our schools? We must be able to trust schools to protect our children. Most schools have picture IDs. Why not make them with smart chips that can be scanned to enter the school? Why not use the old metal detectors and bag scanners from Government buildings and airports, at the entrances of all schools? Why not buzz visitors in after they are scanned and identified? Why not lock all doors to the outside, except the entrance door? Why not have armed security in our schools, including armed educators and why not have armed security in our public places, including armed citizens? Why not monitor the social footprint of troubled students and adults? Why not encourage reporting of concerning social network behavior? Why not make the schools smaller, so that everyone knows everyone else and cares about them? Why not teach our children ethics, morals, empathy, kindness and caring for others in the school? Why not teach the Golden Rule? Monsters are made, they are not born. Society, environment, creates the monsters who prey on us today. Why not care for each other?
Dear Main Stream Media, Democrats and Big Government Republicans,
You watched as Barack Obama politically weaponized every bureaucracy and used them against his opposition. You watched as he used FISA to spy on Congress, the Media and their families and you watched as he used FISA to surveille a presidential candidate, unmasked him, his family and his campaign members. You watched while the weaponized bureaucracy exonerated the other presidential candidate after proving she was guilty as hell, had used an unsecure server for sensitive and classified State Department business, had destroyed government documents and devices and had endangered our security with her reckless hubris.
After watching all this, The media took a side, supported the Democrat candidate and gleefully reported every unverifed leak of misinformation the Obama Administration, Democrat leadership, foreign agent, Christopher Steele, GPS Fusion and Hillary Clinton camp fed them. Why did everyone of you say nothing? Why did you participate in such unconstitutional and illegal acts? Why did you allow yourselves to be used to destroy one Presidential Candidate and undermine his Presidency? Why do you continue to push the story of Collusion when clearly there was none? Why do you ignore what Obama and Hillary did? Why did you endanger our Constitutional freedoms? Why did you take a side, media? Why did you become propagandists and try to manipulate the public with lies, half truths and smearing innuendo? @CNN @MSNBC @ABC @CBS @NBC @washingtonpost @nytimes @yahoo @google @facebook @twitter @Hollywood @Academia
Why? Because all of you think that most Americans are not smart enough to govern themselves. You do not believe in the great American experiment for self governance, individual freedoms and sovereignty. In fact you have an elitist feeling of superiority over most of America. Your leaders, Barack Obama, disparaged us by saying we clung to our guns and God. Just recently, an @FBI director called voters, ignorant hillbillies. That is what you think of us, media, academia, Democrats and big government bureaucrats and that is why you chose a side and said nothing as Barack Obama used the weaponized bureaucracies to silence and deny the rights of conservatives and the faithful.
The Obama administration subverted our laws and Constitution for political and ideological gains. You said nothing because you agreed with his vision. You believe in leftist elite government using the ever growing&abusive, unelected, authoritarian, global and Federal bureaucracies—because you, blinded by your narcissism and elitism, do not believe Americans are cable of governing ourselves. You, Media, Academia, Hollywood and Progressive Democrats believe You Know Best and you do not care what most Americans believe, think or want. You shamefully believe that the ENDS justify any MEANS necessary, including subverting our laws and Constitutional liberties.
Regarding the healthcare monies being bloc granted back to the states.
If I understand this right, this bill continues to collect most of the ACA taxes,and removes most of the mandates, but block grants the money back to the states in a fair and just manner. Why not sunset the ACA in three years? This would give the states time to organize and implement their heath care services and fund them. Adding a sunset will also encourage the states to use fiscal sanity while providing good service to their people. Replacing our tax code with a flat lower tax on everyone,including business,getting rid of the inheritance tax , free repatriation investment monies, along with continued trade and regulator reforms will create the great jobs that puts all Americans and immigrants back to work and will provide healthcare benefits that will decrease medicaid and subsidized healthcare rolls.